Saturday, March 21, 2020

What is a spiritual communion and how do I make one?

 Members of the faithful are being encouraged to make a spiritual communion at home in these days when Mass isn't being celebrated publicly. Making this act of spiritual communion unites you in prayer to the Masses being celebrated by priests.

Making a spiritual communion is a traditional practice recommended by saints throughout the ages. The Angelic Doctor, St. Thomas Aquinas, described Spiritual Communion as “an ardent desire to receive Jesus in the Holy Sacrament and a loving embrace as though we had already received Him."



The Curé d'Ars, St Jean-Marie Vianney, said: “If we are deprived of Sacramental Communion, let us replace it, as far as we can, by spiritual communion, which we can make every moment; for we ought to have always a burning desire to receive the good God."

The traditional prayer of spiritual communion is that written by Saint Alphonsus Liguori. You can pray this either on your own or collectively with family and friends.

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

St Alphonsus Liguori