Thursday, May 7, 2020

First Holy Communion

Today is the anniversary of my First Holy Communion back in 1966. It is still a most wonderful memory when I first received Our Blessed Lord into my heart and soul. I shall always be grateful to my parents, teachers and priests who taught me and gave me the example of their faith.
There are mixed emotions for me as your priest when I think of all my parishioners who cannot receive Our Lord as they would want to do. I think also of our children who should have made their first holy Communion on Sunday last. God willing their day will come.

On a happier note today is the feast of one of the patrons of our diocese; St John of Beverley. He was born in the village of Harpham not far from Driffield. He went to school in Whitby. He loved horse racing or should I say loved riding fast! There is a lovely account of one of his healing miracles in St Bede's history when he heals a deaf boy who also had a scabby head. St Bede records a lovely growth of thick black hair and perfect hearing!

So let us pray for our diocese in these troubled times, for our bishop and for vocations to the religious life and priesthood. We need a few vocations from Richmond we haven't had an ordination for ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment