Monday, May 18, 2020

St John Paul

Pope John Paul would have been 100 years old today. Many of us can vividly remember his visit to our country back in 1982. I was there in York having slept the night on the racecourse. I had the privilege of holding the microphone for the Pope. I remember each time I brought it to him he would lift it a little higher. It was marvellous to see the huge crowd there in front of him. An unforgettable experience. I was on the 9 0'clock news as I was standing right next to the Pope and then would you believe it the coverage from Liverpool focussed on my sister Angela standing in the crowd! People in our road  always thought we were big Catholics but to have Michael and Angela on the news - well you couldn't top that!

Little did I know that 15 years later I would be celebrating Mass with the Pope in his private chapel in the Vatican. I even have a signed copy of his book "Gift and Mystery". It is a treasured possession.

There are many things you could write about John Paul, indeed there are copious tomes written on his life and work, but for me I think of his approachability. There was I , just an ordinary priest from the North of England yet he was happy for me to join him for Mass. John Paul had a great love for priests and wanted to affirm them in their ministry.

Let's pray for Pope Francis today and for vocations to the priesthood


No comments:

Post a Comment